This is the Best Sugar Free Ketchup recipe because it’s super easy and delicious! It has honey instead of refined sugar so you can feel good about giving it to your family! Make lots and freeze for later.
This is EASY Homemade Sugar-Free Ketchup will blow your mind and make you feel so accomplished! This popular condiment takes only MINUTES to make and has only 5 Ingredients. Honey is the natural sweetener instead of refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners that you may find in store-bought regular ketchup. I am not kidding you – it has such a great taste!
Are you thinking, ‘I don’t have time to make ketchup’ or ‘it won’t taste as good as the store-bought ketchup brands ‘? Will let me assure you, it takes just minutes to make and you can make a ton and freeze for months. And, as I said, it really does taste amazing. My kids cannot tell the difference. I am a homemade ketchup converter!
This is the best ketchup to bring to family picnics and put on burgers, hot dogs, and french fries. Mix it with Mayo and Sriracha for a Remoulade dipping sauce. You can also you it in homemade salad dressings. It is also is so delicious in my 5-Ingredient Meatloaf recipe! This is some good food.
Homemade Ketchup is Easy!! Try it!
Are you looking for ways to reduce refined sugar intake? Well, this is one and it feels so great to make a natural version for something your kids love. With store-bought manufactured squeezable bottle traditional ketchups, such as regular Heinz ketchup, you will see unwanted ingredients, such as high-fructose corn syrup. But not in this recipe!
The best thing about making it yourself, is that you can make a batch and freeze it in portions to last for weeks – or months in my case
This recipe is only 5 ingredients (plus water), so it is not as overwhelming as some recipes you may come across
It takes only minutes to prepare!!
5-Item Simple Ingredient List
The main ingredients are ones you can find in your pantry or local grocery store.
- Tomato paste – Tomato paste is made by cooking tomatoes for hours to reduce to a thick, rich tomato concentrate. This is the heart of a rich ketchup and where it gets it’s sweet and tangy tomato flavor. You can find regular or organic tomato paste in cans or tubes.
- Honey – I used 100% Pure honey. You can use your favorite variety. Honey is just one of those natural ingredients that everyone has on hand.
- Distilled White Vinegar – Distilled White Vinegar is used in this recipe so that it doesn’t impart any other flavors. If you don’t have this, you can use Apple Cider vinegar. Red wine and white vinegar will also work.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic Powder adds garlic flavor without any chunks. You can also create a garlic paste using fresh garlic cloves. Start by mincing the garlic and then pressing it over and over with the flat side of a knife until smooth.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder also adds flavor without chunks.
Super Easy Instructions!
It starts with two 6 oz cans of Tomato Paste. Then add honey, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, onion, powder, salt, and water…that’s it!
TIP: For the best results pouring the honey out of the cup easily (ie it doesn’t all stick to the cup) I like to spray the measuring cup or spoon with coconut oil or olive oil spray.
See how the honey just pours out so easily and doesn’t stick! Such a great time and hassle saver!
Simply combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, whisk together, and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes partially covered so that the splatter doesn’t get all over your kitchen.
After the ketchup has simmered for 20 minutes, taste for salt and add to taste. Let cool and transfer to storage containers and/or freezer bags. We actually do not use that much ketchup, so I store a small jar in the fridge that can last 3-4 weeks. I store the rest separated into freezer bags with 1 cup each and then label it with name and date.
Best Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe FAQs
This Sugar-Free Ketchup recipe is gluten free with the ingredients listed. Check all packaging ingredient labels to ensure that it does not contain gluten
You can freeze this ketchup recipe in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 9 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
The tomato paste in this ketchup recipe really packs a punch in flavor. However, if you do not have tomato paste, you can use canned tomato sauce. Use 23 ounces of tomato sauce and eliminate the water. Follow the instructions for the remaining ingredients and steps.
Best Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe with Honey
This is an easy 5-ingredient ketchup recipe that uses Honey as a natural sugar so you can feel good about giving this to your family!
- 12 oz Tomato paste
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
Combine all ingredients in small saucepot
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover mostly with a small opening for steam to escape. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
Cool and store in the fridge and/or freezer. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- HoneyTip: To make measuring and pouring the honey out of the cup super easy, i.e. it doesn’t all stick to the cup, I like to spray the measuring cup or spoon with coconut oil or olive oil spray.
- Is this recipe Gluten Free? This Sugar Free Ketchup recipe is gluten free with the ingredients listed. Check all packaging ingredient labels to ensure that it does not contain gluten
- How long can I freeze this Ketchup recipe? You can freeze this ketchup recipe in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 9 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Can I use tomato sauce instead of tomato paste in this ketchup recipe? The tomato paste in this ketchup recipe really packs a punch in flavor. However, if you do not have tomato paste, you can use canned tomato sauce. Use 23 ounces of tomato sauce and eliminate the water. Follow the instructions for the remaining ingredients and steps.
Kathy Ferriter says
So easy to make
Alexandra Louis says
Could I leave out the honey for an unsweetened version and it’ll still taste good?
Carrie Tyler says
Hi! Yes, you can leave the honey out all together, it will just have more tang without the sweet to balance it. Please let me know how it turns out!
Does using your homemade ketchup recipe change the sodium content of the meatloaf?
Carrie Tyler says
Sorry for the delayed response! My homemade ketchup uses tomato paste as the main ingredient. In general, tomato paste has a lower sodium content than most packaged ketchups. However, my ketchup recipe does add salt. Therefore, if you leave the salt out of both the ketchup recipe and the meatloaf recipe, you will have a lower sodium content.
I hope that helps.