It’s late September…the leaves are turning and falling to the ground, the days have started to get cooler and the evenings even brisker. I have started to swap out summer clothes for fall pants, long sleeves, and sweaters, the days of layers. And I am making a warm, cozy, and Hearty Skillet Creamy Mushroom Soup… The perfect fall day.
I adore soups! Here in NYC, there are restaurants dedicated entirely to soups, so I know I’m not alone. On a cold day, there is something so comforting about holding a bowl of hot soup, sipping a spoonful and feeling the warmth in your mouth and down into your body as you swallow.
Soups at home are wonderful for 3 reasons.
1) they are easy. All the ingredients end up in one pot, or skillet in the case of this recipe.
2) they are convenient. For on-the-go families, they can sit warm in a crockpot or on the stove for family or friends to eat as they roll through. They can also be reheated the next day or frozen for next month. And they travel well in a thermos for an easy lunch at the office or at school.
3) they allow for fun flavors and experimentation. If you don’t like this, add that.
This creamy mushroom soup recipe is a special favorite of mine. When I was growing up, my mom would buy the canned cream of mushroom soup and I loved it. But the homemade version is so easy and soooooo much better tasting because its homemade :). It’s just onions and mushrooms, flour, veggie broth, milk, and a couple simple seasonings and you have a skillet of deliciousness.
Hearty Skillet Mushroom Soup
This creamy mushroom soup recipe is a special favorite of mine. When I was growing up, my mom would buy the canned cream of mushroom soup and I loved it. But the homemade version is so easy and soooooo much better tasting because its homemade :). It's just onions and mushrooms, flour, veggie broth, milk, and a couple simple seasonings and you have a skillet of deliciousness.
- 10 oz White button mushrooms Sliced
- 1 Yellow onion, Small or ¾ cup diced
- 1 Tsp Coconut Oil or I like to use the spray to coat the pan
- 2 Tbls all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup Vegetable broth
- 1 cup 1% Lowfat milk any fat content will do
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Chives for garnish
Dice onion and add to a large pre-heated skillet with 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Stir and reduce heat to medium so the onions don’t burn.
To the skillet, add the sliced button mushrooms and sauté them until browned and soft, about 6-8 minutes.
Turn off heat and transfer mushrooms to a mini food processor. Pulse to get the mushrooms chopped into various sizes…tiny, small, and medium pieces for various textures in the soup, but mostly you want tiny and small.
Scoop the blended mushrooms back into the skillet and turn the heat back up to medium. Add 2 tablespoons all purpose flour to the mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for a minute, stirring to cook some of the raw flour taste off.
Then add in 1 cup milk and mix until thickened. Add another cup of broth and stir until a thick soupy consistency. This makes a pretty thick soup, so simply add more broth if you want to thin it out.
Scoop into a bowl and garnish with chives.